Tuesday, April 2, 2013


Week 9 -   History and Genealogy Resources—Ancestry Library,
                   Heritage Quest and Sanborn Maps

To find if the Titanic had sister ships, I first chose Immigration and travel, and then narrowed the search further by choosing Ship Pictures and Descriptions. I then typed in “Titanic” and got six results. All but one of these ships were White Star Lines – the Carpathia was a Cunard ship.  By clicking on each ship, I
found that the Olympics’ description says she is a sister ship to the Titanic. The description of the Britannic says that it is quite similar to the Olympic and Titanic, but does not mention it being a sister ship. There are many interesting pictures with each ship description, except the Britannic.

In researching the Hindenburg disaster I chose Newspapers and Periodicals and searched for Hindenburg, which gave me far too many results.  I then used the search term “The Hindenburg” and came up with a more reasonable number.  It returned 85 results in newspapers and 1 in periodicals.
The Stars and Stripes newspaper seemed to have the most articles and the one that I found most interesting was called “God Saved Me: Hindenburg Survivor”, a story about Philip Mangone.

In searching for Hughes County history, I chose books and searched “Hughes County” in places and 
“South Dakota” in keyword.  I came up with 37 results, but only one of them seemed relevant to my
search.  It was written in 1937, titled Hughes County History.  It is digitized at this site. There were
also the expected results, i.e.  Doane Robinson’s   Encyclopedia of South Dakota and Kingsbury’s History of Dakota Territory.

1 comment:

Fabric and Books said...

Super post! Great discoveries in both Ancestry and HeritageQuest. Thanks,

Julie