Thursday, March 21, 2013


Week 7 – WorldCat and More FirstSearch Indexes

1. Searching for a non-fiction book on Martin Luther for 4th and 5th graders, I used advanced search and typed Martin Luther in Keywords and used the next line with not and typed in King. Using the special limiters I chose juvenile and non-fiction .  414 results were returned and I then chose the limiter books.  This reduced the number to 359. I then, used date limiter asking for books from 2000 to 2012. I further reduced the results by choosing English. (I could have done this all at the start of my search and will do so next time, however this is how I conducted my first try ) This reduced the results to 43. I chose "Martin Luther: father of Reformation" by Barbara A. Somervill. This book is 112 pages and has a 2006 copyright. There are many regional holdings for this book, and instate the Watertown Regional Library owns it.

2. In searching for classic novels for my library I chose to search for graphic novels and chose Genre/Form as a limiter.  In the next search box I chose classics, and limited the type to books and fiction. 369 records were found, which should give me a pretty good sampling of books to choose from.  I personally would choose Tom Sawyer, published by Sterling of New York.

3. In helping the local theater director find a vocal score for My Fair Lady, I again used Advanced Search and typed My Fair Lady in the first search box and chose title.  In the second search box I typed in vocal score as a keyword.  Next I limited the type to Musical Scores. 94 English results were returned. I chose the score with the accession number 26429906. 


1 comment:

Fabric and Books said...

Wonderful search descriptions! Thank you!! You found excellent results and really demonstrated the power of WorldCat's search limiters.

Thank you for your post,

Julie