Monday, March 4, 2013


WEEK 6 – EBOOKS ON EBSCOHOST

    1.  I typed birdwatching in the search box after choosing Visual search. I came up with 12 results and found the book Complete Idiots Guide to Birdwatching.  It took me quite some time to figure out how to actually access the book. You need to click  “more” on the book summary. After I watched the little tutorial (which I should have done first) I tried typing in bird watching (two words).  I came up with 32 results and was then able to make the little connections. By clicking on Georgia Guidebooks the second column came up with two choices, South Carolina Guidebooks and North Carolina Guidebooks, and from there I could choose from two results.   Adventure guide to the Georgia and Carolina Coasts and Adventure Guide to Georgia. I also did a basic search, again just to see the difference and I liked it better for my small result base, however if a student or patron started out with a broad topic such as South Dakota I can certainly see how the visual search would be very handy in winnowing out results. That was a fun assignment!

I 2.  I typed fairy tales in the search box and got 82 results, then clicked on the tab fairy tales on the left side of the screen and got 16 results. No’s 2-6 were the “color fairy tales” that Gramma enjoyed!  They were The Violet Fairy Book, The Blue Fairy Book, Blue Fairy Book. The Yellow Fairy Book, and The Red Fairy Book. The author on all books was Andrew Lang, however on The Violet Fairy Book H. J. Ford was also listed as an author.

1 comment:

Fabric and Books said...

Thanks for your post! It does sound like you enjoyed the assignment and you found some neat titles.
You are not the only participant who prefers the regular search in Ebooks on Ebsco. It is nice to have options for different searches and needs.
-Julie