Monday, February 25, 2013





Week 5 - GALE VIRTUAL REFERENCE LIBRARY

1.    I first typed World Holidays in the search box and came up with 1194 results. I then entered spring festivals in the search box and came up with 444 results. The Junior Worldmark Encyclopedia of World Holidays seemed to be the best source for finding information.

In the search box “search within results” I entered holiday foods and got 5 results. The Junior Worldmark Encyclopedia of Foods and Recipes of the World seems like it would be the source the patron needs. By entering Holiday Cooking, I got 14 results, but still think the Junior Worldmark Encyclopedia of Foods and Recipes of the World would work best.

In the search box I entered holiday games which retrieved 519 results. I narrowed that by using the search within results and came up with two hits. Junior Worldmark Encyclopedia of World Holidays again seems to be the book to refer to. In clicking on the “readers guide” section I came up with the result: “Arts, Crafts and Games: Described here are famous works of art associated with specific holidays, as well as crafts created by different peoples in connection with the holidays.” 

2.    In Advanced search I limited the publication date to after 2011 and came up with 28,952 publications.

On the left hand side, I clicked on Family Life and came up with 310 results. Since my niece has gone to Haiti for several missions to work as a nurse in an orphanage in the mountains, I looked at the Haitians chapter of the Junior Worldmark Encyclopedia of World Cultures. It was interesting to read about the language, topography, etc. There were even some recipes provided. I also liked the websites provided.

I then looked at Bowling Beatniks and Bell Bottoms and chose Volume 4, 1960’s-1970’s. Within that book I chose the chapter on Beach Movies, which brought back a lot of memories of Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon! What fun my friends and I had during that time period!  There was also a list of books that I could read if I wanted to dig deeper.

1 comment:

Fabric and Books said...

Thanks for your post! I'm so glad you enjoyed Bowling, Beatniks and Bell Bottoms! You post highlighted there are often multiple ways to find information in one resource.
-Julie