Wednesday, February 20, 2013


Week 4 – Proquest

I don’t know why, but this challenge was a little hard and somewhat frustrating for me! I worked on it for a long time before being even somewhat happy with the results I was getting.

1.      I typed in Les Miserables and chose full text as requested. Under subject I chose novels and literary criticism. Under document type I chose reviews and came up with 8 results.

2.       I immediately used advanced search and typed in Hurricane Sandy. In the other search box I typed in libraries. I limited the search to full text and the date as the last three months, asking it to sort newest first. I came up with 119 results with the latest being February 20.2013, which was an article about a disaster recovery center in a library closing. I tried adding impact to the search, but that didn't help. Some of the articles were relevant with libraries being recovery centers and food and clothing distribution centers. There were also articles talking about the library being a place to use computers, charge their cell phones, etc.  I would think that this would all be impacting the communities in some way.

1 comment:

Fabric and Books said...

I'm sorry you strugged with this lesson. Your post is excellent, as are your discoveries!

And you hit upon the answer--there is more impact to libraries than damage due to hurricanes.

Thanks for your post!

-Julie